48 U.S.C. § 1423j - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 48. Territories and Insular Possessions § 1423j. Authorization of appropriations
Search U.S. Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
A. The committee shall:
(1) Not later than February 1, 1994, make recommendations to the board for rules and regulations to govern its actions as they relate to this Part. The board shall act upon the committee's recommended rules and regulations within sixty days from the date of receipt. In the event the board does not act upon such recommended rules and regulations within sixty days, such inaction shall constitute approval by the board of said recommended rules and regulations and the board shall promulgate such rules and regulations in the Louisiana Register not later than April 20, 1994.
(2) As the administrative, technical, and specialty committee of the board, examine and recommend that the board license or certify, renew a license of or certificate of, and issue temporary licenses to duly qualified applicants for licensure or certification as clinical laboratory personnel and recommend to the board the denial, suspension, probation, restriction, or revocation of licensure or certification to any individual who violates the provisions of this Part.
(3) Recommend to the board rules and regulations which document the appropriate training and competency of clinical laboratory personnel who are engaged in the practice of clinical laboratory science in a clinical laboratory operated by a physician licensed by the board exclusively in connection with the diagnosis and treatment of his own patients. Such rules shall be based upon, and shall not exceed, the scope and standards contained in the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 and the rules and regulations promulgated pursuant thereto.
(4) Appoint at least three persons licensed or certified under this Part to assist in administering the examination for licensure or certification under rules and regulations recommended by the committee and adopted by the board. At least one of the appointed examiners shall be eligible for licensure or certification or be licensed or certified in the category in which the applicant is seeking licensure or certification in accordance with this Part.
(5) Recommend to the board for promulgation the minimum standards for the accreditation of educational programs to instruct individuals training to become clinical laboratory scientists and cytotechnologists.
(6) Recommend to the board criteria for approval of training programs for laboratory assistants in a hospital or clinical laboratory which programs are under the supervision of a laboratory director as stated in 42 Code of Federal Regulations 493.1405.
(7) Have the authority to examine and recommend to the board that it approve, deny, suspend, probate, restrict, or revoke the license or certificate of any clinical laboratory personnel after conducting disciplinary hearings of a licensee or certificate holder. The costs incurred by the committee for all such hearings, except criminal prosecutions, shall be paid by the board out of monies credited to the committee for the implementation of the provisions of this Part.
(8) Keep a record of all proceedings of the committee.
(9) Establish continuing education requirements for license renewal pursuant to the Administrative Procedure Act.
(10) Provide structured continuing education programs to assist clinical laboratory personnel to qualify for advanced licensure in other licensure categories and to fulfill the continuing education requirements for the following:
(a) Clinical laboratory scientist-generalist.
(b) Clinical laboratory scientist-specialist.
(c) Clinical laboratory scientist-technician.
(e) Laboratory assistant.
(11) Recommend criteria for applicants who must complete employment requirements as in-training licensees to practice clinical laboratory science under supervision to be eligible for and successfully complete a nationally recognized certification examination as approved by the board upon recommendation of the committee.
(12) Recommend to the board criteria for the approval of other structured continuing education programs and methods, including but not limited to, video, audio, closed circuit and other electronic instruction, self-study materials, and health care provider in-service training.
(13) Establish a training program and recommend to the board criteria for the approval of other training programs to assist applicants for certification as a phlebotomist to successfully complete a certification examination approved or written and administered by the board.
(14) Annually publish and make available a register of all individuals licensed or certified under this Part, including the name and license or certificate number of each licensee or certificate holder.
(15) Have all other powers necessary and proper to the performance of its duties.
(16) Adopt a seal which shall be affixed to all licenses and certificates.
(17) Submit an annual report to the board containing the financial and professional recommendations of the committee during the past year.
B. The committee may:
(1) Recommend the establishment of a code of ethics for clinical laboratory personnel to be promulgated by the board pursuant to the Administrative Procedure Act.
(2) Recommend to the board that the committee employ an executive director and legal counsel as needed to carry out the provisions of this Part, fix their compensation, and define their duties.
(3) Recommend to the board that it seek injunctive relief to prohibit any unlicensed or uncertified individual from engaging in the practice of clinical laboratory science, or recommend to the board the issuance of subpoenas to require attendance, testimony, and the production of documents to enforce the provisions of this Part or any other legal process authorized under this Part.
(4) Recommend to the board that the committee employ such personnel as necessary to enforce the provisions of this Part and any rules and regulations promulgated pursuant to it relative to the practice of clinical laboratory science.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 48 U.S.C. § 1423j - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 48. Territories and Insular Possessions § 1423j. Authorization of appropriations - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-48-territories-and-insular-possessions/48-usc-sect-1423j/
Was this helpful?