(a) A county mutual insurance company shall obtain a bond for:
(1) the officer responsible for handling the funds of the company's members; and
(2) all other office employees who may have access to the company's funds.
(b) The bonds required under this section must:
(1) be with a surety authorized by the department to engage in business in this state;
(2) be made payable to the department for the use and benefit of the company's members;
(3) obligate the principal and surety to pay pecuniary losses that the company sustains
through an act of fraud, dishonesty, forgery, theft, embezzlement, wrongful abstraction,
or wilful misapplication, regardless of whether the act is committed by the officer
or employee directly and alone, or in cooperation with another person.
(c) A bond under this section must:
(1) be in an amount that is at least the greater of $1,000 or the amount of cash assets
on hand, but not more than $20,000, if the bond covers the officer; or
(2) be in an amount established by the department that is at least $1,000 but not
more than $5,000, if the bond covers office employees.
(d) One or more persons may recover on a bond under this section until the bond is
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.