(a) If the minimum surplus of a fire, marine, or inland marine insurance company is
impaired in excess of the amount permitted under Subchapter B, Chapter 404, 1 the commissioner may allow the company to amend its charter as provided by Sections 822.157 and 822.158 to reduce the amount of the company's capital stock and the par value of its shares
in proportion to the extent of the permitted amount of impairment.
(b) A company acting under Subsection (a):
(1) may not reduce the par value of its shares below the sum computed under Section 822.055;
(2) may not deduct from the assets and property on hand more than $125,000;
(3) shall retain the remainder of the assets and property on hand as surplus assets;
(4) may not distribute any of the assets or property to the shareholders; and
(5) may not reduce the capital stock or surplus of the company to an amount less than
the minimum capital and the minimum surplus required by Sections 822.202, 822.210, and 822.211, subject to Subchapter B, Chapter 404.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.