When two or more candidates for the same office, after a full recount of votes, have
an equal and the highest number of votes:
(1) For election to state Senator or Representative, a party office, or a public office
for which the elections officer is other than the Secretary of State, the elections
officer shall have the candidates meet publicly to decide by lot who is elected.
(2) For election to a public office other than Governor or those referred to in subsection
(1) of this section, the Secretary of State by proclamation shall order a new election
to fill the office.
(3) For election to Governor, the Legislative Assembly at the beginning of the next
regular session shall meet jointly and elect one of the candidates.
(4) For nomination by one major political party to an office, the elections officer
who receives filings for nomination to the office shall have the candidates meet publicly
to decide by lot who is nominated.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Response sent, thank you
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.