Nevada Revised Statutes Title 43. Public Safety; Vehicles; Watercraft § 487.105. Streamlined procedure for wrecker to process vehicle as parts or scrap metal: Bond required; report to be transmitted to Department; wrecker assumes liability; Department to issue nonrepairable vehicle certificate
Search Nevada Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. If a licensed automobile wrecker, in addition to any other bond required by NRS 487.047 to 487.200, inclusive, procures and files with the Department a good and sufficient bond in the amount of $50,000, with a corporate surety thereon licensed to do business in the State of Nevada, approved as to form by the Attorney General, and conditioned that the applicant conducts his or her relevant activities in accordance with the provisions of this section, the wrecker may use the procedure set forth in this section to process a motor vehicle as parts or scrap metal. The additional bond described in this subsection may cover more than one location at which the licensed automobile wrecker does business, if the wrecker holds an ownership interest of 51 percent or more in each such business location.
2. Upon obtaining a motor vehicle that is to be processed as parts or scrap metal, a licensed automobile wrecker who has procured and filed the additional bond described in subsection 1 and who wishes to use the procedure provided in this section:
(a) Shall transmit to the Department electronically or via facsimile, as specified by the Department, a report that includes:
(1) The make, model, vehicle identification number and registration number, if applicable, of the motor vehicle; and
(2) An affirmation by the licensed automobile wrecker that the motor vehicle has been designated by the licensed automobile wrecker for processing as parts or scrap metal.
(b) May process the motor vehicle for parts or scrap metal only if:
(1) Five or more business days elapse after transmission to the Department of the report required by paragraph (a); and
(2) The licensed automobile wrecker does not receive notification from the Department that the motor vehicle is not to be processed as parts or scrap metal.
3. A licensed automobile wrecker who processes a motor vehicle for parts or scrap metal pursuant to this section assumes all liability for any injuries to any person or property arising from or incident to the act of such processing. No action may be brought under NRS 41.031 or against an officer or employee of the State or any of its agencies or political subdivisions which is based upon any injuries to any person or property arising from or incident to the act of processing a motor vehicle for parts or scrap metal as authorized pursuant to this section.
4. If a licensed automobile wrecker submits to the Department the report described in subsection 2 and the Department confirms that the motor vehicle which is the subject of the report has been processed as parts or scrap metal, the Department shall issue a nonrepairable vehicle certificate for the motor vehicle.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Nevada Revised Statutes Title 43. Public Safety; Vehicles; Watercraft § 487.105. Streamlined procedure for wrecker to process vehicle as parts or scrap metal: Bond required; report to be transmitted to Department; wrecker assumes liability; Department to issue nonrepairable vehicle certificate - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nv/title-43-public-safety-vehicles-watercraft/nv-rev-st-487-105/
Was this helpful?