Skip to main content

New Jersey Statutes Title 53. State Police 53 § 5A-23

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Any such group policy or policies shall provide that payment of any death benefits which are payable by the insurance company may be made in one sum directly to the beneficiary as hereinafter provided, in equal installments over a period of years or as a life annuity or in such other manner as may be made available by the insurance company.  An insured person may make such arrangements for settlement, and may alter from time to time during his lifetime any arrangement previously made, by making written request to the insurance company through the policyholder.  Upon the death of an insured person, a beneficiary to whom a benefit is payable in one sum by the insurance company may likewise arrange for a settlement as described above.  If an insured person's or beneficiary's request for settlement of any death benefit in equal installments over a period of years or as a life annuity pursuant to the foregoing is approved by the policyholder, the amount of such installments or such life annuity, as the case may be, shall be determined on the basis of such applicable mortality tables as shall have been adopted by the retirement system and are in effect at the death of the insured person.  Any arrangement for payment under the group policy to a beneficiary shall be in lieu of that provided by sections 8c., 9c., 10c., 12d., 13d., 14e., 15, 27b. and 28.  1

1  N.J.S.A. §§ 53:5A-8 to 53:5A-10, 53:5A-12 to 53:5A-15, 53:5A-27, 53:5A-28.

Cite this article: - New Jersey Statutes Title 53. State Police 53 § 5A-23 - last updated February 19, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard