Skip to main content

New Jersey Statutes Title 15A. Corporations, Nonprofit 15A § 12-18

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

a. At any time after a corporation has been dissolved, the corporation, or a receiver appointed for the corporation pursuant to this chapter, may give notice requiring all creditors to present their claims in writing.  The notice shall be published three times, once in each of 3 consecutive weeks, in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the registered office of the corporation is located and shall state that all persons who are creditors of the corporation shall present written proof of their claims to the corporation or the receiver, as the case may be, at a place and on or before a date named in the notice, which date shall not be less than 6 months after the date of the first publication.

b. On or before the date of the first publication of the notice as provided in subsection a. of this section, the corporation, or the receiver, as the case may be, shall mail a copy of the notice to each known creditor of the corporation.  The giving of the notice shall not constitute recognition that any person to whom the notice is directed is a creditor of the corporation other than for the purpose of receipt of notice hereunder.

c. As used in this section, “creditor” means all persons to whom the corporation is indebted, and all other persons who have claims or rights against the corporation, whether liquidated or unliquidated, matured or unmatured, direct or indirect, absolute or contingent, secured or unsecured.

d. Proof of the publication and mailing authorized by this section shall be made by an affidavit filed in the office of the Secretary of State.

Cite this article: - New Jersey Statutes Title 15A. Corporations, Nonprofit 15A § 12-18 - last updated February 19, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard