Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) When so provided in its certificate of incorporation, a corporation may issue shares of any class or series convertible, at the option of the holder or of the corporation or both, into shares of any other class or classes or of any series of the same or any other class or classes.
(2) Unless otherwise provided in its certificate of incorporation, a corporation may issue bonds convertible, at the option of the holder or of the corporation or both, into shares of any class or classes or of any series of any class or classes, upon such terms and conditions as may be fixed by the board. The bond instrument shall set forth or incorporate by reference the terms and conditions of the conversion privilege.
(3) No issue of shares or bonds convertible into shares of the corporation shall be made unless a sufficient number of shares of the appropriate class or classes or series, either authorized but unissued or treasury shares, are reserved by the board to be issued or disposed of only in satisfaction of the conversion privileges of the convertible shares or bonds being issued.
(4) If there is shareholder approval of the issue of shares or bonds convertible into shares of the corporation, such approval may provide that the board is authorized upon such issue to increase the authorized shares of any class or series to such number as will be not more than sufficient, when added to the previously authorized but unissued shares of such class or series, to satisfy the conversion privileges of the convertible shares or bonds being issued. The board, when so authorized, may increase the authorized shares of the corporation by filing a certificate of amendment to the certificate of incorporation. The certificate shall be executed on behalf of the corporation and shall set forth
(a) The name of the corporation;
(b) The date of adoption of the amendment;
(c) The amendment so adopted;
(d) That the amendment is made pursuant to authority granted by the shareholders in connection with shareholder approval of the issue of shares or bonds of the corporation convertible into the shares being authorized by the amendment; and
(e) The designation of the convertible shares or bonds and the date of such shareholder approval.
(5) (Deleted by amendment, P.L. 1988, c. 94).
(6) (Deleted by amendment, P.L. 1988, c. 94).
(7) When bonds have been converted, they shall be cancelled and not reissued. The disposition of converted shares is provided for in section 14A:7-18.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New Jersey Statutes Title 14A. Corporations, General 14A § 7-9 - last updated February 19, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nj/title-14a-corporations-general/nj-st-sect-14a-7-9/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.