Maryland Code, Land Use § 16-217
Search Code of Maryland
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) In this section, “strike” means the action of an employee, in concert with others, to:
(1) refuse to report to work;
(2) stop or slow down work; or
(3) abstain wholly or partly from the full, faithful, and proper performance of duties when the object is to induce, influence, or coerce a change in the terms, conditions, rights, or privileges of employment.
(b) A Commission employee, a group of Commission employees, or an employee organization may not engage in, induce, initiate, or ratify a strike by Commission employees.
(c) If a strike occurs, a court of competent jurisdiction may enjoin the strike on request of the Commission.
(d) An employee may not receive compensation from the Commission while the employee is engaged in a strike.
(e)(1) If an employee engages in, induces, initiates, or ratifies a strike, the Commission may take appropriate disciplinary action against the employee, including suspension or discharge.
(2) If disciplinary action is taken and appealed, the labor relations administrator shall hold a hearing on the disciplinary action at which the Commission, the employee, and any interested employee organization may present evidence and argument.
(f)(1) If after a hearing an employee organization certified as an exclusive representative is found by the labor relations administrator to have assisted, authorized, or initiated a strike involving the refusal of Commission employees to report for work, the labor relations administrator shall revoke the certification of the employee organization for 1 year after the end of the strike.
(2) If after a hearing an employee organization certified as an exclusive representative is found by the labor relations administrator to have assisted, authorized, or initiated any other type of strike, the labor relations administrator may revoke the certification of the employee organization for up to 1 year after the end of the strike.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Land Use § 16-217 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/land-use/md-code-land-use-sect-16-217/
Was this helpful?