Skip to main content

Massachusetts General Laws Part I. Administration of the Government (Ch. 1-182) Ch. 94B, § 7

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

It shall be lawful for any person who has or hereafter shall redeem any land sold for taxes, to give the receipt of the treasurer for such redemption money to the prothonotary of the proper county, when such sale is entered, who is hereby required to enter such receipt at length in a book to be kept by him for that purpose, and mark on the margin of the entry of the deed of such tract of land the word redeemed, and note the page of the book where such receipt is entered, for which service he shall be entitled to a fee of twenty-five cents for each tract and no more, and on such entry being completed, such receipt shall be returned to the owner;  but when the handwriting of the treasurer is not known to the prothonotary, he shall not enter the same till the person producing such receipt shall cause probate to be made thereof by some person acquainted therewith, before some judge, alderman, or justice of the peace of this commonwealth, and said probate shall be recorded with said receipt, and the recording of any receipt entered, as required by this act, shall be as good evidence in any court, of record or elsewhere, as the original might or could be:  Provided, That nothing in this act shall be construed to require the person redeeming or who has redeemed lands to procure such receipts to be entered, nor shall the title be in any way affected by default thereof:  Provided, That this act shall not be construed so as to affect the rights of any person or persons acquired under the existing laws.

Cite this article: - Massachusetts General Laws Part I. Administration of the Government (Ch. 1-182) Ch. 94B, § 7 - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard