The board of library commissioners, in setting up minimum standards of free public
library service and in certifying such libraries for aid under section nineteen A shall require the filing of an annual report and shall require that such public libraries
(1) be open to all residents of the commonwealth,
(2) make no charge for normal library services,
(3) be kept open a minimum number of hours per week,
(4) employ trained personnel in accordance with regulations promulgated by the board
of library commissioners; provided, however, that in cities of more than one hundred
and fifty thousand residents, nothing in said regulations shall prevent the appointing
authority from employing a chief executive officer of the library system in addition
to the chief librarian,
(5) expend a reasonable portion of the library's total budget on library materials,
(6) lend books to other libraries in the commonwealth and extend privileges to the
holders of cards issued by other public libraries in the commonwealth on a reciprocal
(7) include in their annual report the total number of nonresident loans and nonresident
circulation as a percentage of the library's total circulation, as certified by the
librarian and subject to an audit by the state auditor.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Response sent, thank you
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.