Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 1 . (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a person who knowingly or intentionally has sexual intercourse with another person or knowingly or intentionally causes another person to perform or submit to other sexual conduct (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-221.5 ) when:
(1) the other person is compelled by force or imminent threat of force;
(2) the other person is unaware that the sexual intercourse or other sexual conduct (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-221.5 ) is occurring; or
(3) the other person is so mentally disabled or deficient that consent to sexual intercourse or other sexual conduct (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-221.5 ) cannot be given;
commits rape, a Level 3 felony.
(b) An offense described in subsection (a) is a Level 1 felony if:
(1) it is committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force;
(2) it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon;
(3) it results in serious bodily injury to a person other than a defendant; or
(4) the commission of the offense is facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1) ) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9 ) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure § 35-42-4-1 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-35-criminal-law-and-procedure/in-code-sect-35-42-4-1/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.