Indiana Code Title 22. Labor and Safety § 22-3-2-5

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 5. (a) Every employer who is bound by the compensation provisions of IC 22-3-2 through IC 22-3-6, except the state, counties, townships, cities, towns, school cities, school towns, other municipal corporations, state institutions, state boards, state commissions, banks, trust companies, and building and loan associations, shall insure the payment of compensation to the employer's employees and their dependents in the manner provided in IC 22-3-3, or procure from the worker's compensation board a certificate authorizing the employer to carry such risk without insurance.  While such insurance or such certificate remains in force, the employer or those conducting the employer's business and the employer's worker's compensation insurance carrier shall be liable to any employee and the employee's dependents for personal injury or death by accident arising out of and in the course of employment only to the extent and in the manner specified in IC 22-3-2 through IC 22-3-6.

(b) The state may not purchase worker's compensation insurance.  The state may establish a program of self-insurance to cover its liability under this article.  The state may administer its program of self-insurance or may contract with any private agency, business firm, limited liability company, or corporation to administer any part of the program.  The state department of insurance may, in the manner prescribed by IC 4-22-2, adopt the rules necessary to implement the state's program of self-insurance.

Cite this article: - Indiana Code Title 22. Labor and Safety § 22-3-2-5 - last updated June 08, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard