Iowa Code Title XVI. Criminal Law and Procedure [Chs. 687-916] § 692A.108. Verification of relevant information
Search Iowa Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. A sex offender shall appear in person in the county of principal residence after the offender was initially required to register, to verify residence, employment, and attendance as a student, to allow the sheriff to photograph the offender, and to verify the accuracy of other relevant information during the following time periods after the initial registration:
a. For a sex offender classified as a tier I offender, every year.
b. For a sex offender classified as a tier II offender, every six months.
c. For a sex offender classified as a tier III offender, every three months.
2. A sheriff may require a sex offender to appear in person more frequently than provided in subsection 1 to verify relevant information if good cause is shown. The circumstances under which more frequent appearances are required shall be reasonable, documented by the sheriff, and provided to the offender and the department in writing. Any modification to such requirement shall also be provided to the sex offender and the department in writing.
3. a. At least thirty days prior to an appearance for the verification of relevant information as required by this section, the department shall mail notification of the required appearance to each reported residence of the sex offender. The department shall not be required to mail notification to any sex offender if the residence described or listed in the sex offender's relevant information is insufficient for the delivery of mail.
b. The notice shall state that the sex offender shall appear in person in the county of principal residence on or before a date specified in the notice to verify and update relevant information. The notice shall not be forwarded to another address and shall be returned to the department if the sex offender no longer resides at the address.
4. A photograph of the sex offender shall be updated, at a minimum, annually. The sheriff shall send the updated photograph to the department using procedures established by the department by rule within five business days of the photograph being taken and the department shall post the updated photograph on the sex offender registry's internet site. The sheriff may require the sex offender to submit to being photographed, fingerprinted, or palm printed, more than once per year during any required appearance to verify relevant information.
5. The sheriff may make a reasonable modification to the date requiring a sex offender to make an appearance based on exigent circumstances including man-made or natural disasters. The sheriff shall notify the department of any modification using procedures established by the department by rule.
6. A waiver of the next immediate in-person verification pursuant to this section may be granted at the discretion of the sheriff, if the sex offender appears in person at the sheriff's office because of changes to relevant information pursuant to section 692A.104 or 692A.105, and if the in-person verification pursuant to this section is within thirty days of such in-person appearance. If a waiver is granted, the sheriff shall notify the department of granting the waiver.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title XVI. Criminal Law and Procedure [Chs. 687-916] § 692A.108. Verification of relevant information - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-xvi-criminal-law-and-procedure-chs-687-916/ia-code-sect-692a-108/
Was this helpful?