Skip to main content

Iowa Code Title XII. Business Entities [Chs. 486-504C] § 504.857. Indemnification of officers

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

1. A corporation may indemnify and advance expenses under this part to an officer of the corporation who is a party to a proceeding because the person is an officer, according to all of the following:

a. To the same extent as to a director.

b. If the person is an officer but not a director, to such further extent as may be provided by the articles of incorporation, the bylaws, a resolution of the board of directors, or contract, except for either of the following:

(1) Liability in connection with a proceeding by or in the right of the corporation other than for reasonable expenses incurred in connection with the proceeding.

(2) Liability arising out of conduct that constitutes any of the following:

(a) Receipt by the officer of a financial benefit to which the officer is not entitled.

(b) An intentional infliction of harm on the corporation or the members.

(c) An intentional violation of criminal law.

2. The provisions of subsection 1, paragraph “b”, shall apply to an officer who is also a director if the basis on which the officer is made a party to a proceeding is an act or omission solely as an officer.

3. An officer of a corporation who is not a director is entitled to mandatory indemnification under section 504.853, and may apply to a court under section 504.855 for indemnification or an advance for expenses, in each case to the same extent to which a director may be entitled to indemnification or advance for expenses under those provisions.

Cite this article: - Iowa Code Title XII. Business Entities [Chs. 486-504C] § 504.857. Indemnification of officers - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard