Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. Unless this chapter, the articles or bylaws of a corporation, the members acting pursuant to subsection 2, or the board of directors acting pursuant to subsection 3 require a greater vote or voting by class, or unless the articles or bylaws impose other requirements, an amendment to the corporation's articles must be approved by all of the following to be adopted:
a. The board if the corporation is a public benefit or religious corporation and the amendment does not relate to the number of directors, the composition of the board, the term of office of directors, or the method or way in which directors are elected or selected.
b. Except as provided in section 504.1002, subsection 1, by the members by two-thirds of the votes cast by the members or a majority of the members' voting power that could be cast, whichever is less.
c. In writing by any person or persons whose approval is required by a provision of the articles authorized by section 504.1031.
2. The members may condition the adoption of an amendment on receipt of a higher percentage of affirmative votes or on any other basis.
3. If the board initiates an amendment to the articles or board approval is required by subsection 1 to adopt an amendment to the articles, the board may condition the amendment's adoption on receipt of a higher percentage of affirmative votes or any other basis.
4. If the board or the members seek to have the amendment approved by the members at a membership meeting, the corporation shall give notice to its members of the proposed membership meeting in writing in accordance with section 504.705. The notice must state that the purpose, or one of the purposes, of the meeting is to consider the proposed amendment and contain or be accompanied by a copy or summary of the amendment.
5. If the board or the members seek to have the amendment approved by the members by written consent or written ballot, the material soliciting the approval shall contain or be accompanied by a copy or summary of the amendment.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title XII. Business Entities [Chs. 486-504C] § 504.1003. Amendment by directors and members - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-xii-business-entities-chs-486-504c/ia-code-sect-504-1003/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?