Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. Any levee or drainage district organized, or in the process of being organized, under the laws of this state may occupy and use for any lawful levee or drainage purpose land owned by the state of Iowa, upon first obtaining permission to do so from the state or state agency controlling the land.
2. In the case of lands lying within the beds of meandered streams and border streams the permission shall be obtained from the natural resource commission of the department of natural resources. In the case of lands that are not under the control of any office or agency of the state, then the permission shall be obtained from the executive council.
3. Such permission shall not be unreasonably withheld and shall be in the form of an easement executed by the governor or in the case of an agency, by the chairperson or presiding officer thereof, and when once granted shall be perpetual, except that if no use is made of the easement for a period of five years, the permission shall immediately thereafter expire.
4. All uses and occupancies as contemplated by this section existing on July 4, 1961, are hereby legalized.
5. The state of Iowa, its agencies and subdivisions shall be financially responsible for drainage and special assessments against land which they own, or hold title to, within existing drainage districts.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title XI. Natural Resources [Chs. 455-485] § 468.220. Occupancy and use permitted--assessments paid - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-xi-natural-resources-chs-455-485/ia-code-sect-468-220/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.