Iowa Code Title VIII. Transportation [Chs. 306-330B] § 314.13. Definitions
Search Iowa Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Agency” means any governmental body which exercises jurisdiction over any road as provided by law.
2. “Committee” means the integrated roadside vegetation management technical advisory committee created in section 314.22.
3. “Coordinator” means the integrated roadside vegetation management coordinator.
4. “Department” means the state department of transportation.
5. “Disadvantaged business enterprise” means a small business which meets both of the following:
a. The business is at least fifty-one percent owned by one or more socially and economically disadvantaged individuals.
b. The management and daily business operations of the business are controlled by one or more of the socially and economically disadvantaged individuals who own the business.
6. “Highway” or “street” means the entire width between property lines of every way or place of whatever nature when any part thereof is open to the use of the public, as a matter of right, for purposes of vehicular traffic.
7. “Prequalified” means that a small business has been approved by the department as a small business, is a recognized contractor engaged in the class of work provided for in the plans and specifications, possesses sufficient resources to complete the work, and is able to furnish a performance bond for one hundred percent of the contract.
8. “Small business” means any enterprise, which is operated for profit and under a single management, and which has either fewer than twenty employees or an annual gross income of less than four million dollars computed as the average of the three preceding fiscal years. This definition does not apply to any program or activity for which a definition for small business is provided for the program or activity by federal law or regulation or other state law.
9. “Socially and economically disadvantaged individual” means an individual who is a citizen of the United States or who is a lawfully admitted permanent resident of the United States and who is a woman, Black American, Hispanic American, Native American, Asian-Pacific American, Asian-Indian American, or any other minority person or individual found to be disadvantaged by the United States small business administration. However, the department may also determine, on a case-by-case basis, that an individual who is not a member of one of the enumerated groups is a socially and economically disadvantaged individual. A rebuttable presumption exists that individuals in the following groups are socially and economically disadvantaged:
a. “Asian-Indian Americans”, which includes persons whose origins are from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, the Maldives Islands, Nepal, or Sri Lanka.
b. “Asian-Pacific Americans”, which includes persons whose origins are from Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, Burma (Myanmar), Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Brunei, Samoa, Guam, the United States trust territories of the Pacific Islands, and the Northern Marianas, Macao, Fiji, Tonga, Kirbati, Juvalu, Nauru, Micronesia, or Hong Kong.
c. “Black Americans”, which includes persons having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa.
d. “Hispanic Americans”, which includes persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish or Portuguese culture or origin, regardless of race.
e. “Native Americans”, which includes persons who are American Indians, Eskimos, Aleuts, or Native Hawaiians.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title VIII. Transportation [Chs. 306-330B] § 314.13. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-viii-transportation-chs-306-330b/ia-code-sect-314-13/
Was this helpful?