Iowa Code Title VII. Education and Cultural Affairs [Chs. 256-305B] § 303.52. Board of trustees--powers and duties
Search Iowa Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. The trustees elected under this subchapter 1 constitute the board of trustees for the district, which is the corporate authority of the district, and shall exercise all the powers and manage and control all the affairs of the district. A majority of the board of trustees is a quorum, but a smaller number may adjourn from day to day. The board of trustees may elect a president, vice president, clerk, and a treasurer from their own number and, from without their own number, employees of the district. The compensation of members of the board of trustees is fixed not to exceed ten dollars per day, or any part of a day, for each day the board is actually in session and ten dollars per day when not in session but employed on board service, and twenty cents for every mile traveled in going to and from sessions of the board and in going to and from the place of performing board service. Members of the board shall not receive compensation for more than sixty days of session and board service each year.
2. The board of trustees shall formulate and administer a land use plan which includes all ordinances, resolutions, rules, and regulations necessary for the proper administration of the land use district. The land use plan shall be created for the primary purpose of regulating and restricting, where deemed necessary, the erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, or use of buildings, structures, or land in a manner which would maintain or enhance the distinctive historical and cultural character of the district. The ordinances, resolutions, rules, and regulations shall not apply to any tillable farmland, pastureland, timber pasture or forestland located within the district except to structures of an advertising or commercial nature located on the land.
3. The board of trustees shall provide for the manner in which the land use plan shall be established and enforced and amended, supplemented, or changed. However, a plan shall not become effective until after a public hearing on it, at which parties in interest and citizens of the district shall have an opportunity to be heard. At least fifteen days’ notice of the time and place of the hearing shall be published in a newspaper of general circulation within the district giving the time, date, and location of the public hearing.
4. a. The board of trustees may by ordinance impose a hotel and motel tax in accordance with chapter 423A.
b. All revenues derived from imposition of the hotel and motel tax shall be spent exclusively on the acquisition of sites for, or constructing, improving, enlarging, equipping, repairing, operating, or maintaining of recreation, convention, cultural, or entertainment facilities including but not limited to memorial buildings, halls and monuments, civic center convention buildings, auditoriums, coliseums, and parking areas or facilities located at those recreation, convention, cultural, or entertainment facilities, or for the promotion and encouragement of tourist and convention business in the land use district and surrounding areas.
5. The board of trustees shall appoint an administrative officer authorized to enforce the resolutions or ordinances adopted by the board of trustees. The board of trustees may pay the administrative officer the compensation it deems fit from the funds of the district.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title VII. Education and Cultural Affairs [Chs. 256-305B] § 303.52. Board of trustees--powers and duties - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-vii-education-and-cultural-affairs-chs-256-305b/ia-code-sect-303-52/
Was this helpful?