Skip to main content

Iowa Code Title VI. Human Services [Chs. 216-255A] § 229A.5B. Escape from custody--penalty

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

1. A person who is detained pursuant to section 229A.5 or is subject to an order of civil commitment under this chapter shall remain in custody unless released by court order or discharged under section 229A.8 or 229A.10. A person who has been placed in a transitional release program or who is under release with supervision is considered to be in custody. A person in custody under this chapter shall not do any of the following:

a. Leave or attempt to leave a facility without the accompaniment of authorized personnel or leave or attempt to leave a facility without authorization.

b. Knowingly and voluntarily be absent from a place where the person is required to be present.

c. Leave or attempt to leave the custody of personnel transporting or guarding the person while the person is away from a facility.

2. A person who violates subsection 1 commits a serious misdemeanor or may be subject to punishment for contempt.

3. If a person commits a violation of subsection 1 and remains unconfined, the attorney general or the chief law enforcement officer of the political subdivision where the violation occurs may make a public announcement that the person is unconfined and may provide relevant information about the person to the community. The attorney general may also notify a victim or the family of a victim of the person that the person is unconfined.

4. This section shall not be construed to prohibit the use of other lawful means for the return of the person.

Cite this article: - Iowa Code Title VI. Human Services [Chs. 216-255A] § 229A.5B. Escape from custody--penalty - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard