Iowa Code Title VI. Human Services [Chs. 216-255A] § 216C.11. Service animals and service-animals-in-training--penalty
Search Iowa Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. A person with a disability, a person assisting a person with a disability by controlling a service animal or a service-animal-in-training, or a person training a service animal has the right to be accompanied by a service animal or service-animal-in-training, under control, in any of the places listed in sections 216C.3 and 216C.4 without being required to make additional payment for the service animal or service-animal-in-training. The person is liable for damage done to any premises or facility by a service animal or a service-animal-in-training.
2. A person who knowingly denies or interferes with the right of a person under this section is, upon conviction, guilty of a simple misdemeanor.
3. a. A person who intentionally misrepresents an animal as a service animal or a service-animal-in-training is, upon conviction, guilty of a simple misdemeanor.
b. A person commits the offense of intentional misrepresentation of an animal as a service animal or a service-animal-in-training if all of the following elements are established:
(1) For the purpose of obtaining any of the rights or privileges set forth in state or federal law, the person intentionally misrepresents an animal in one's possession as one's service animal or service-animal-in-training or a person with a disability's service animal or service-animal-in-training whom the person is assisting by controlling.
(2) The person was previously given a written or verbal warning regarding the fact that it is illegal to intentionally misrepresent an animal as a service animal or a service-animal-in-training.
(3) The person knows that the animal in question is not a service animal or a service-animal-in-training.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title VI. Human Services [Chs. 216-255A] § 216C.11. Service animals and service-animals-in-training--penalty - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-vi-human-services-chs-216-255a/ia-code-sect-216c-11/
Was this helpful?