Iowa Code Title V. Agriculture [Chs. 159-215A] § 184.2. Establishment of Iowa egg council and assessment
Search Iowa Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. The secretary shall call and the department shall conduct a referendum upon the department's receipt of a petition which is signed by at least twenty producers requesting a referendum to determine whether to establish an Iowa egg council and to impose an assessment as provided in section 184.3. The referendum shall be conducted within sixty days following receipt of the petition. The petitioners shall guarantee payment of the cost of the referendum by providing evidence of financial security as required by the department.
2. The department shall give notice of the referendum on the question whether to establish a council and to impose an assessment by publishing the notice for a period of not less than five days in at least one newspaper of general circulation in the state. The notice shall state the voting places, period of time for voting, and other information deemed necessary by the department. A referendum shall not be commenced until five days after the last date of publication.
3. a. Each producer who signs a statement certifying that the producer is a bona fide producer shall be an eligible voter under this section. An eligible voter is entitled to cast one vote in each referendum conducted under this section.
b. At the close of the referendum, the secretary shall count and tabulate the ballots cast.
(1) If a majority of eligible voters approve establishing an Iowa egg council and imposing an assessment, a council shall be established, and an assessment shall be imposed commencing not more than sixty days following the referendum as determined by the council and shall continue until eligible voters voting in a referendum held pursuant to section 184.5 vote to abolish the council and terminate the imposition of the assessment.
(2) If a majority of the voters do not approve establishing the council and imposing the assessment, the council shall not be established and an assessment shall not be imposed until another referendum is held under this chapter and a majority of the eligible voters approve establishing a council and imposing the assessment. If a referendum should fail, another referendum shall not be held within one hundred eighty days.
4. Immediately after passage of the question at the referendum, the secretary shall appoint seven members to the council in accordance with section 184.6 based on nominations made by the Iowa poultry association. The association shall nominate and the secretary shall appoint two members representing large producers, two members representing medium producers, and three members representing small producers. The department, in consultation with the association, shall determine initial classifications for small, medium, and large producers. The secretary shall complete the appointments within thirty days following passage of the question at the referendum.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title V. Agriculture [Chs. 159-215A] § 184.2. Establishment of Iowa egg council and assessment - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-v-agriculture-chs-159-215a/ia-code-sect-184-2/
Was this helpful?