Iowa Code Title IV. Public Health [Chs. 123-158] § 135C.8. Scope of license
Search Iowa Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
a. Whenever a person has been arrested for a violation of R.S.39:4-50 or section 2 of P.L.1981, c. 512 (C.39:4-50.4a), the arresting law enforcement agency shall impound the vehicle that the person was operating at the time of arrest.
b. A vehicle impounded pursuant to this section shall be impounded for a period of 12 hours after the time of arrest or until such later time as the arrestee claiming the vehicle meets the conditions for release in subsection d. of this section.
c. A vehicle impounded pursuant to this section may be released to a person other than the arrestee prior to the end of the impoundment period only if:
(1) The vehicle is not owned or leased by the person under arrest and the person who owns or leases the vehicle claims the vehicle and meets the conditions for release in subsection d. of this section; or
(2) The vehicle is owned or leased by the arrestee, the arrestee gives permission to another person, who has acknowledged in writing receipt of the statement required in section 1 of P.L.2001, c. 69 (C.39:4-50.22) to operate the vehicle and the conditions for release in subsection d. of this section are met.
d. A vehicle impounded pursuant to this section shall not be released unless the person claiming the vehicle:
(1) presents a valid operator's license, proof of ownership or lawful authority to operate the motor vehicle, and proof of valid motor vehicle insurance for that vehicle;
(2) is able to operate the vehicle in a safe manner and would not be in violation of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes; and
(3) meets any other conditions for release established by the law enforcement agency.
e. A law enforcement agency impounding a vehicle pursuant to this section is authorized to charge a reasonable fee for towing and storage of the vehicle. The law enforcement agency is further authorized to retain custody of the vehicle until that fee is paid.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title IV. Public Health [Chs. 123-158] § 135C.8. Scope of license - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-iv-public-health-chs-123-158/ia-code-sect-135c-8/
Was this helpful?