Iowa Code Title I. State Sovereignty and Management [Chs. 1-38D] § 29B.39. Duties of trial counsel and defense counsel
Search Iowa Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. The trial counsel of a general or special court-martial shall prosecute in the name of the state, and shall, under the direction of the court, prepare the record of the proceedings.
2. The accused has the right to be represented in the accused's defense before a general or special court-martial by civilian counsel if provided at the expense of the accused, or by military counsel selected by the accused if reasonably available, or by the defense counsel detailed under section 29B.28. If the accused selects defense counsel, the defense counsel, and assistant defense counsel, if any, who were detailed, shall, if the accused so desires, act as associate counsel for the accused; otherwise they shall be excused by the military judge or by the president of the court-martial if there is no military judge.
3. In every court-martial proceeding, the defense counsel may, in the event of conviction, forward for attachment to the record of proceedings a brief of such matters the defense counsel feels should be considered in behalf of the accused on review, including any objection to the contents of the record which the defense counsel considers appropriate.
4. An assistant trial counsel of a general court-martial may, under the direction of the trial counsel or when the assistant is qualified to be a trial counsel as required by section 29B.28, perform any duty imposed by law, regulation, or the custom of the service upon the trial counsel of the court. An assistant trial counsel of a special court-martial may perform any duty of the trial counsel.
5. An assistant defense counsel of a general or special court-martial may, under the direction of the defense counsel or when the assistant is qualified to be the defense counsel as required by section 29B.28, perform any duty imposed by law, regulation, or the custom of the service upon counsel for the accused.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title I. State Sovereignty and Management [Chs. 1-38D] § 29B.39. Duties of trial counsel and defense counsel - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-i-state-sovereignty-and-management-chs-1-38d/ia-code-sect-29b-39/
Was this helpful?