Skip to main content

Iowa Code Title I. State Sovereignty and Management [Chs. 1-38D] § 29B.119. Redress of injuries to property

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

1. Whenever complaint is made to any commanding officer that willful damage has been done to the property of any person or that the person's property has been wrongfully taken by members of the state military forces, the person may, subject to such regulations as the adjutant general may prescribe, convene a board to investigate the complaint. The board shall consist of from one to three commissioned officers and, for the purpose of that investigation, it has power to summon witnesses and examine them upon oath or affirmation, to receive depositions or other documentary evidence, and to assess the damages sustained against the responsible parties. The assessment of damages made by the board is subject to the approval of the commanding officer, and in the amount approved shall be charged against the pay of the offenders. The order of the commanding officer directing charges authorized in this section is conclusive, except as provided in this chapter, on any disbursement officer for the payment by the officer to the injured parties of the damages so assessed and approved.

2. Any person subject to this code who is accused of causing willful damage to property has the right to be represented by counsel, to summon witnesses in the person's behalf, and to cross-examine those appearing against the person. The person has the right of appeal to the next higher commander.

Cite this article: - Iowa Code Title I. State Sovereignty and Management [Chs. 1-38D] § 29B.119. Redress of injuries to property - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard