Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) All properly appointed agents of the bureau shall have the powers, including the power of making arrests and appearing in court, for the enforcement of all criminal statutes pertaining to the manufacture, transportation, distribution, sale, or possession of liquor, wine, beer, alcoholic beverages, cigars, cigarettes, little cigars, cheroots, stogies, and loose or smokeless tobacco and shall concurrently with agents and enforcement officers appointed by the state revenue commissioner have the authority throughout the state to:
(1) Obtain and execute warrants for the arrest of persons charged with violations of such laws;
(2) Obtain and execute search warrants in the enforcement of such laws;
(3) Arrest without warrant any person found in violation of such laws, or endeavoring to escape, or if for other cause there is likely to be a failure of enforcement of such laws for want of an officer to issue a warrant;
(4) Make investigations in the enforcement of such laws and in connection therewith to go upon any property outside of buildings, posted or otherwise, in the performance of such duties;
(5) Seize and take possession of all property which is declared contraband under such laws; and
(6) Carry firearms while performing their duties.
(b) The enforcement powers conferred in this Code section upon agents of the bureau shall relate only to the enforcement of the criminal provisions relating to the manufacture, transportation, distribution, sale, or possession of liquor, wine, beer, alcoholic beverages, cigars, cigarettes, little cigars, cheroots, stogies, and loose or smokeless tobacco and shall not extend to regulatory matters with respect to such products under the jurisdiction of the state revenue commissioner.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Georgia Code Title 35. Law Enforcement Officers and Agencies § 35-3-8 - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ga/title-35-law-enforcement-officers-and-agencies/ga-code-sect-35-3-8/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?