Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) There are certain admissions and communications excluded from evidence on grounds of public policy, including, but not limited to, the following:
(1) Communications between husband and wife;
(2) Communications between attorney and client;
(3) Communications among grand jurors;
(4) Secrets of state;
(5) Communications between psychiatrist and patient;
(6) Communications between licensed psychologist and patient as provided in Code Section 43-39-16;
(7) Communications between a licensed clinical social worker, clinical nurse specialist in psychiatric/mental health, licensed marriage and family therapist, or licensed professional counselor and patient;
(8) Communications between or among any psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, clinical nurse specialist in psychiatric/mental health, licensed marriage and family therapist, and licensed professional counselor who are rendering psychotherapy or have rendered psychotherapy to a patient, regarding that patient's communications which are otherwise privileged by paragraph (5), (6), or (7) of this subsection; and
(9) Communications between accountant and client as provided by Code Section 43-3-29.
(b) As used in this Code section, the term:
(1) “Psychotherapy” means the employment of psychotherapeutic techniques.
(2) “Psychotherapeutic techniques” shall have the same meaning as provided in Code Section 43-10A-3.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Georgia Code Title 24. Evidence § 24-5-501 - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ga/title-24-evidence/ga-code-sect-24-5-501/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.