(1) Each candidate, whether for a federal, state, county, or district office, shall
make a good faith effort to remove all of his or her political campaign advertisements
within 30 days after:
(a) Withdrawal of his or her candidacy;
(b) Having been eliminated as a candidate; or
(c) Being elected to office.
However, a candidate is not expected to remove those political campaign advertisements
which are in the form of signs used by an outdoor advertising business as provided
in chapter 479. The provisions herein do not apply to political campaign advertisements placed on
motor vehicles or to campaign messages designed to be worn by persons.
(2) If political campaign advertisements are not removed within the specified period,
the political subdivision or governmental entity has the authority to remove such
advertisements and may charge the candidate the actual cost for such removal. Funds collected for removing such advertisements shall be deposited to the general
revenue of the political subdivision.
(3) Pursuant to chapter 479, no political campaign advertisements shall be erected,
posted, painted, tacked, nailed, or otherwise displayed, placed, or located on or
above any state or county road right-of-way.
(4) The officer before whom a candidate qualifies for office shall notify the candidate,
in writing, of the provisions in this section.
(5) This provision does not preclude municipalities from imposing additional or more
stringent requirements on the usage and removal of political campaign advertisements.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Response sent, thank you
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.