Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a)(1) After initial contact between a victim or a victim's family and a law enforcement agency responsible for investigating a crime, the law enforcement agency shall promptly give the victim and, if applicable, the victim's family, a preprinted document to be known as “Laura's Card” that clearly states the following:
(A) An explanation of the victim's rights under this subchapter; and
(B) Information concerning the availability of:
(i) Assistance to victims, including medical, housing, counseling, financial, social, legal, and emergency services;
(ii) Compensation for victims under the Arkansas Crime Victims Reparations Act, § 16-90-701 et seq., and the name, street address, and telephone number of the agency to contact;
(iii) Protection of the victim, including protective court orders; and
(iv) Access by the victim and the defendant to public records related to the case.
(2) The law enforcement officer who provides the Laura's Card to a victim is required to provide the law enforcement officer's badge number and contact information on the Laura's Card.
(b) As soon as practicable, the law enforcement agency shall give to the victim, as relevant, the following:
(1) Information as to the suspect's identity, unless inconsistent with law enforcement purposes;
(2) Information as to whether the suspect has been taken into custody, has escaped, or has been released, and any conditions imposed on the release when such information has been made known to the law enforcement agency;
(3) The file number of the case and the name, office address, and office telephone number of a law enforcement officer assigned to investigate the case; and
(4) The prosecuting attorney's name, office address, and office telephone number.
(c) As used in this section, “law enforcement agency” includes without limitation a college or university police department.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Arkansas Code Title 16. Practice, Procedure, and Courts § 16-90-1107. Information from law enforcement agencies - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ar/title-16-practice-procedure-and-courts/ar-code-sect-16-90-1107/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.