Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
In this chapter,
(1) “digital network” means any online-enabled application, software, website, or system offered or used by a transportation network company that enables the prearrangement of rides with transportation network company drivers;
(2) “personal vehicle” means a motor vehicle that is used by a transportation network company driver and is owned, leased, or otherwise authorized for use by the transportation network company driver; “personal vehicle” does not include a taxi, limousine, or other commercial motor vehicle for hire;
(3) “prearranged ride” means transportation provided by a driver to a rider, beginning when a driver accepts a ride requested by a rider through a digital network controlled by a transportation network company, continuing while the driver transports a requesting rider, and ending when the last requesting rider departs from the personal vehicle; “prearranged ride” does not include shared expense carpool or vanpool arrangements or transportation provided using a taxi, limousine, or other commercial motor vehicle for hire;
(4) “transportation network company” means a corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship, or other entity that uses a digital network to connect transportation network company riders to transportation network company drivers who provide prearranged rides; a transportation network company may not be considered to control, direct, or manage the personal vehicles or transportation network company drivers that connect to the transportation network company's digital network, except where agreed to by written contract;
(5) “transportation network company driver” or “driver” means an individual who
(A) receives connections to potential passengers and related services from a transportation network company in exchange for payment of a fee to the transportation network company; and
(B) uses a personal vehicle to offer or provide a prearranged ride to riders upon connection through a digital network controlled by a transportation network company in return for compensation or payment of a fee;
(6) “transportation network company rider” or “rider” means an individual or person who uses a digital network of a transportation network company to connect with a transportation network company driver who provides a prearranged ride to the rider in the driver's personal vehicle between points chosen by the rider.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 28. Motor Vehicles § 28.23.180. Definitions - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-28-motor-vehicles/ak-st-sect-28-23-180/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?