Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A person shall have proof of motor vehicle liability insurance in the person's immediate possession at all times when driving a motor vehicle, and shall present the proof for inspection upon the demand of a peace officer or other authorized representative of the Department of Public Safety. A person may display the proof on a mobile electronic device. However, a person charged with violating this section may not be convicted if the person produces in court or in the office of the arresting or citing officer proof of motor vehicle liability insurance previously issued to the person that was valid at the time of the person's arrest or citation.
(b) A municipality may adopt an ordinance
(1) requiring a person to display a decal on the person's motor vehicle indicating compliance with (a) of this section; or
(2) that is substantially similar to (a) of this section and may impose a penalty for violating the ordinance as provided under AS 29.25.070.
(c) A person convicted under this section is guilty of an infraction and shall be sentenced to pay a mandatory fine of $500.
(d) Displaying proof of motor vehicle liability insurance on a mobile electronic device under this section does not constitute consent for a peace officer or other authorized representative of the Department of Public Safety to access other contents of the mobile electronic device.
(e) In this section, “proof” means
(1) a copy of the insurance policy or certificate of self-insurance that is in effect;
(2) a printed card or electronic certification from an insurance company, insurance agent, insurance broker, or surplus lines broker that a policy that complies with AS 28.22.011 is in effect; or
(3) the display on a mobile electronic device of verification from an insurance company, insurance agent, insurance broker, or surplus lines broker that a policy that complies with AS 28.22.011 is in effect.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 28. Motor Vehicles § 28.22.019. Proof of insurance to be exhibited on demand; penalty - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-28-motor-vehicles/ak-st-sect-28-22-019/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.