Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The commission may establish a moratorium on new entrants into the southeast Alaska Dungeness crab fishery for a continuous period of up to four years without complying with AS 16.43.225(a) - (c). While the moratorium is in effect, the commission shall
(1) conduct the investigation required under AS 16.43.225(d);
(2) establish by regulation the qualifications for an interim-use permit for the fishery, including minimum requirements for past or present participation and harvest in the fishery; and
(3) issue interim-use permits for the fishery to applicants who satisfy the qualifications established under (2) of this subsection and who establish the present ability and intent to participate actively in the fishery.
(b) Notwithstanding AS 16.43.225, for the purposes of this chapter
(1) an interim-use permit issued under this section shall be treated as an interim-use permit issued under AS 16.43.225;
(2) a moratorium established under this section shall be treated as a moratorium established under AS 16.43.225.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 16. Fish and Game § 16.43.227. Southeast Alaska Dungeness crab fishery - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-16-fish-and-game/ak-st-sect-16-43-227/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.