Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The board may establish an apprenticeship program to become a barber. A barber apprentice shall work at all times under the direct supervision of a licensed barber and any permit issued by the board to work as a barber apprentice does not allow a person to practice individually as a barber.
(b) An applicant for a barber apprenticeship shall present satisfactory evidence that he or she:
(1) Is at least sixteen years of age;
(2) Is of good moral character;
(3) Is in high school or has a high school diploma, a GED, or has passed the “ability to benefit test” approved by the United States Department of Education;
(4) Has paid the applicable fee;
(5) Has a certificate of health from a licensed physician;
(6) Is a citizen of the United States or is eligible for employment in the United States; and
(7) Has fulfilled any other requirement specified by the board.
(c) An applicant for a sponsor of a barber apprentice shall present satisfactory evidence that he or she:
(1) Is licensed as a barber under the provisions of this article;
(2) Has paid the applicable fee; and
(3) Has fulfilled any other requirement specified by the board.
(d) A sponsor of a barber apprentice shall be a current licensed barber with at least five years’ experience and has worked in a shop for the last five years.
(e) The board may propose emergency rules and rules for legislative approval, in accordance with the provisions of article three, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code, to implement the provisions of this section, including:
(1) The requirements for:
(A) The barber apprenticeship program;
(B) The barber apprentice permit; and
(C) A licensed barber to sponsor a barber apprentice;
(2) Procedures for an examination;
(3) A fee schedule; and
(4) Any other rules necessary to effectuate the provisions of this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - West Virginia Code Chapter 30. Professions and Occupations § 30-27-8a. Barber apprentice - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wv/chapter-30-professions-and-occupations/wv-code-sect-30-27-8a/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.