Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The board may suspend or revoke or refuse to issue, restore or renew a certificate of registration of, or place on probation, impose a civil penalty or reprimand any professional engineer who has:
(1) Perpetrated any fraud or deceit in obtaining or attempting to obtain or renew a certificate of registration or certificate of authorization;
(2) Been negligent, incompetent or committed an act of misconduct in the practice of engineering;
(3) Been convicted of or has entered a plea of nolo contendere to any crime under the laws of the United States or any state or territory thereof, which is a felony whether related to practice or not; and conviction of or entry of a plea of nolo contendere to any crime, whether a felony, misdemeanor or otherwise, an essential element of which is dishonesty, or which is directly related to the practice of engineering;
(4) Failed to comply with any of the provisions of this article or any of the rules promulgated under it;
(5) Been disciplined by another state, territory, the District of Columbia, foreign country, the United States government or any other governmental agency, if at least one of the grounds for discipline is the same or substantially equivalent to those grounds for discipline contained in this article;
(6) Failed within thirty days to provide information requested by the board as a result of a formal or informal complaint to the board which would indicate a violation of this article;
(7) Knowingly made false statements or signed false statements, certificates or affidavits to induce payment;
(8) Aided or assisted another person in violating any provision of this article or the rules promulgated;
(9) Violated any terms of probation imposed by the board or using a seal or practicing engineering while the professional engineer's license is suspended, revoked, nonrenewed or inactive;
(10) Signed or affixed the professional engineer's seal or permitted the professional engineer's seal or signature to be affixed to any specifications, reports, drawings, plans, design information, construction documents or calculations or revisions which have not been prepared or completely checked by the professional engineer or under the professional engineer's direct supervision or control;
(11) Engaged in dishonorable, unethical or unprofessional conduct of a character likely to deceive, defraud or harm the public;
(12) Provided false testimony or information to the board; and
(13) Been habitually intoxicated or addicted to or by the use of drugs or alcohol.
(b) In addition to any other penalty provided in this article, the board may assess civil penalties against any person who violates any provision of this article or any rule promulgated by the board for each offense in an amount determined by the board.
(c) The board shall prepare and shall adopt “rules of professional responsibility for professional engineers”. The board may revise and amend these “rules of professional responsibility for professional engineers” from time to time and shall notify each registrant in writing of any revisions or amendments.
(d) The board may:
(1) Revoke a certificate of authorization;
(2) Suspend a certificate of authorization of any firm for a period of time not exceeding two years where one or more of its officers or directors of the firm have been found guilty of any conduct which would authorize a revocation or suspension of his or her certificate of registration under the provisions of this article;
(3) Place the person or firm on probation for a period of time and make the person or firm subject to conditions as the board may specify;
(4) Assess a civil penalty and related costs for each count or separate offense in an amount set by the board.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - West Virginia Code Chapter 30. Professions and Occupations § 30-13-21. Disciplinary action--Revocation, suspension, refusal to issue, restore or renew, probation, civil penalty, reprimand - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wv/chapter-30-professions-and-occupations/wv-code-sect-30-13-21/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.