Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
In this article, unless the context or subject matter otherwise requires:
1. “Credit card” means and includes any credit card, credit plate, charge plate, courtesy card, or other identification card or device issued by a person to another person which may be used to obtain a cash advance or a loan or credit or to purchase or lease property or services on the credit of the issuer or of the holder;
2. “Person” includes an individual, corporation, partnership or association, two or more persons having a joint or common interest or any other legal or commercial entity;
3. “Issuer” means a person who issues a credit card or a debit card;
4. “Holder” means a person to whom such a credit card or debit card is issued or who has agreed with the issuer to pay obligations arising from the use of a credit card or debit card issued to another person;
5. “Unauthorized use” means use of a credit card or a debit card by a person other than the holder who does not have actual, implied or apparent authority from the holder for such use and from which use the holder receives no benefit;
6. “Seller” means any person who honors credit cards or debit cards which may be used to purchase or lease property or services;
7. “Lender” means any person who honors credit cards which may be used to obtain a cash advance or loan.
8. “Improper use” means unauthorized use of a credit card or a debit card or use of a revoked, cancelled, expired or forged credit card or debit card at the premises of a seller or lender, to obtain a cash advance or loan, or to purchase or lease property or services, or an attempt to do so;
9. “Debit card” means a card, plate or other similar device issued by a person to another person which may be used, without a personal identification number, code or similar identification number, code or similar identification, to purchase or lease property or services. The term does not include a credit card or a check, draft or similar instrument.
10. “Secured credit card” means any credit card for which an issuer takes a pledge of a specifically identified interest-bearing deposit account as provided in section four hundred thirteen of the personal property law.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - West Virginia Code Chapter 29. Miscellaneous Boards and Officers § 29-3B-2. Necessity of license; definitions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wv/chapter-29-miscellaneous-boards-and-officers/wv-code-sect-29-3b-2/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.