(a) A person may not operate a crane or tower crane without certification issued under
this article except for those persons exempted under subsection (b) of this section.
(b) A person is not required to obtain certification under this article if the person:
(1) Is a member of the Department of Defense or Armed Forces of the United States
or an employee of the United States, when such member or employee is engaged in the
work of a crane operator exclusively for such governmental unit; or
(2) Is primarily an operator of farm machinery who is performing the work of a crane
operator as part of an agricultural operation; or
(3) Is operating a crane on an emergency basis; or
(4) Is operating a crane for personal use and not for profit on the site of real property
which the person owns or leases; or
(5) Is an Operator-in-Training under the direct supervision of a certified crane operator
(A) Who is enrolled in an industry recognized in-house training course based on the
American National Standards Institute Standards for Crane Operators and who is employed
by the entity that either taught the training course or contracted to have the training
course taught, all of which is approved by the commissioner; or
(B) Who is enrolled in an apprenticeship program or training program for crane operators
approved by the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training;
(6) Is an employee of and operating a crane at the direction of any manufacturing
plant or other industrial establishment, including any mill, factory, tannery, paper
or pulp mill, mine, colliery, breaker or mineral processing operation, quarry, refinery
or well or is an employee of and operating a crane at the direction of the person,
firm or corporation who owns or is operating such plant or establishment;
(7) Is an employee of a public utility operating a crane to perform work in connection
with facilities used to provide a public service under the jurisdiction of the Public
Service Commission, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission or Federal Communications
(8) Is operating timbering harvesting machinery associated with the production of
timber and the manufacturing of wood products.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Response sent, thank you
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.