Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Except as provided in sub. (4), when any of the following mortgages has been duly recorded, it shall have priority over all liens upon the mortgaged premises and the buildings and improvements thereon, except tax and special assessment liens filed after the recording of such mortgage and except liens under ss. 292.31(8)(i) and 292.81:
(a) Any mortgage executed to a federal savings and loan association or state or federal savings bank.
(b) Any mortgage executed to the department of veterans affairs under s. 45.352, 1971 stats.
(c) Any mortgage assigned to or executed to any of the following:
1. The United States, this state or a county, city, village or town in this state, or an agency, department or other formally constituted subunit of any of the foregoing.
2. The Wisconsin Health and Educational Facilities Authority created under ch. 231, the Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority created under ch. 234, or any other authority created by state law.
(d) Any mortgage executed to a state or national bank or to a state or federally chartered credit union.
(e) Any mortgage executed under s. 66.1103 to a trustee, as defined in s. 66.1103(2)(n).
(f) Any mortgage executed to a mortgage banker, as defined in s. 224.71(3).
(g) Any mortgage executed to an insurer licensed to do business in this state.
(h) Any mortgage executed to a licensee under s. 138.09.
(i) Any mortgage executed to an institution chartered by the federal farm credit administration under 12 USC 2002(a) that is part of the federal farm credit system created under 12 USC 2001 to 2279cc.
(1m)(a) In this subsection:
1. “Commitment” means an agreement under which a mortgagee agrees to advance to the mortgagor or another person funds that will be secured by the mortgage.
2. “Construction mortgage” means a mortgage that secures an obligation incurred for the construction of an improvement on land, including the acquisition cost of the land.
(b) An advance of funds, including accrued but unpaid interest on the advance, that is secured by a duly recorded mortgage specified in sub. (1)(a) to (d) or (f) to (i) and that is made after the mortgage has been recorded has the same priority as the mortgage if the advance is made before the mortgagee has actual knowledge of an intervening lien or, regardless of when the advance is made, if any of the following applies:
1. The advance is made under a commitment that is entered into before the mortgagee has actual knowledge of an intervening lien, regardless of whether the advance was made after a default or other event outside of the mortgagee's control relieved the mortgagee of the obligation to advance funds under the commitment.
2. The advance is made for the reasonable protection of the mortgagee's interest, including for the payment of real property taxes, property insurance or assessments or other maintenance charges imposed under a condominium declaration or a restrictive covenant.
3. The mortgage is a construction mortgage that clearly states on the first page of the mortgage that it is a construction mortgage and the advance is made to enable completion of the contemplated improvement on the mortgaged premises.
(2) State savings and loan associations shall have the priorities specified under s. 215.21(4).
(3) The proceeds of any such mortgage referred to in this section shall, when paid out by a state savings bank, federal savings bank, state savings and loan association or federal savings and loan association, or of any other mortgage from any other source and received by the owner of the premises or by any contractor or subcontractor performing the work and labor, forthwith constitute a trust fund only in the hands of such owner, contractor or subcontractor for the payment proportionally of all claims due and to become due or owing from such contractor or subcontractor for lienable labor and materials until all such claims have been paid, and shall not be a trust fund in the hands of any other person. This section shall not create a civil cause of action against any person other than such owner, contractor or subcontractor. The use of any of such moneys by any owner, contractor or subcontractor for any other purpose until all claims, except those which are the subject of a bona fide dispute, have been paid in full, or proportionally in cases of a deficiency, shall constitute theft by such owner, contractor or subcontractor of any moneys so misappropriated. The district attorney of the county where the premises are situated shall on the complaint of any aggrieved party prosecute such owner, contractor or subcontractor misappropriating such moneys for such theft.
(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to a 2nd mortgage assigned to or executed to the department of veterans affairs under s. 45.80(4)(a)1., 1989 stats., or s. 45.37(3), 2017 stats.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Wisconsin Statutes Property (Ch. 700 to 710) § 706.11. Priority of certain mortgages, trust funds - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wi/property-ch-700-to-710/wi-st-706-11/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.