Skip to main content

Wisconsin Statutes Military Affairs (Ch. 321) § 321.21. Military property accountability

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(1) In this section, “money” means funds in the custody of the department.

(2)(a) Each commanding officer who is issued military property or money shall account for the property and money, deliver the property and money to any officer entitled to receive them, and pay for all losses or damages to that property or money.

(b) The unit commander has control of the money and military property of any unit of the national guard, whether the money or property is assigned to the unit or its members collectively, or has been issued to it or any of its officers, for its use, by the state or the United States. The unit commander may sue for and recover possession of the money or military property, whenever it is wrongfully withheld from the control of the unit.

(3)(a) All state-owned military property or money issued to any officer or armory facility manager shall be audited annually as a part of the annual inspection of federal property accounts. When damage, other than reasonable wear and tear, or loss of state-owned property is discovered, the adjutant general shall appoint a surveying officer to determine the cause and fix blame. Upon review, the adjutant general may hold responsible individuals financially liable. If it is determined that the property or money was damaged, destroyed or lost without fault or neglect on the part of those responsible, all concerned shall be relieved of liability.

(b) Whenever any state-owned military property becomes unsuitable, unserviceable, or no longer required for military purposes, it shall be disposed of as surplus property subject to s. 16.72(4) and (5).

(4)(a) When an officer who is responsible for military property or money is separated or reassigned, all military property or money in the officer's possession or for which the officer is responsible shall become the responsibility of the person the adjutant general designates to receive the property or money. No separation or reassignment shall be effective until all accounts have been settled.

(b) If an officer having control of military property or money dies, the next in command shall immediately take charge of the property or money and deliver the property or money to the person the adjutant general appointed to control the property or money.

(5)(a) No person may retain at any time any military property or money, unless the property or money has been lawfully issued to the person and the proper authority permits the person to retain the property or money in the discharge of a public duty. No person may use military property or money for the person's unauthorized private use. Any person violating this paragraph shall forfeit not less than $100 nor more than $1,000.

(b) A person who possesses military property or money, after the adjutant general makes lawful demand for the return of the property or money shall return the property or money promptly. No person may knowingly resist any officer who is lawfully taking possession of the military property or money. Any person violating this paragraph shall forfeit not less than $100 nor more than $1,000.

Cite this article: - Wisconsin Statutes Military Affairs (Ch. 321) § 321.21. Military property accountability - last updated January 01, 2018 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard