Skip to main content

Washington Revised Code Title 74. Public Assistance § 74.13.530. Child placement--Conflict of interest

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(1) No child may be placed or remain in a specific out-of-home placement under this chapter or chapter 13.34 RCW when there is a conflict of interest on the part of any adult residing in the home in which the child is to be or has been placed.  A conflict of interest exists when:

(a) There is an adult in the home who, as a result of:  (i) His or her employment;  and (ii) an allegation of abuse or neglect of the child, conducts or has conducted an investigation of the allegation;  or

(b) The child has been, is, or is likely to be a witness in any pending cause of action against any adult in the home when the cause includes:  (i) An allegation of abuse or neglect against the child or any sibling of the child;  or (ii) a claim of damages resulting from wrongful interference with the parent-child relationship of the child and his or her biological or adoptive parent.

(2) For purposes of this section, “investigation” means the exercise of professional judgment in the review of allegations of abuse or neglect by:  (a) Law enforcement personnel;  (b) persons employed by, or under contract with, the state;  (c) persons licensed to practice law and their employees;  and (d) mental health professionals as defined in chapter 71.05 RCW.

(3) The prohibition set forth in subsection (1) of this section may not be waived or deferred by the department under any circumstance or at the request of any person, regardless of who has made the request or the length of time of the requested placement.

Cite this article: - Washington Revised Code Title 74. Public Assistance § 74.13.530. Child placement--Conflict of interest - last updated April 06, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard