Washington Revised Code Title 49. Labor Regulations § 49.62.010. Definitions
Search Revised Code of Washington
Search by Keyword or Citation
The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) “Earnings” means the compensation reflected on box one of the employee's United States internal revenue service form W-2 that is paid to an employee over the prior year, or portion thereof for which the employee was employed, annualized and calculated as of the earlier of the date enforcement of the noncompetition covenant is sought or the date of separation from employment. “Earnings” also means payments reported on internal revenue service form 1099-MISC for independent contractors.
(2) “Employee” and “employer” have the same meanings as in RCW 49.17.020.
(3) “Franchisor” and “franchisee” have the same meanings as in RCW 19.100.010.
(4) “Noncompetition covenant” includes every written or oral covenant, agreement, or contract by which an employee or independent contractor is prohibited or restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind. A “noncompetition covenant” does not include: (a) A nonsolicitation agreement; (b) a confidentiality agreement; (c) a covenant prohibiting use or disclosure of trade secrets or inventions; (d) a covenant entered into by a person purchasing or selling the goodwill of a business or otherwise acquiring or disposing of an ownership interest; or (e) a covenant entered into by a franchisee when the franchise sale complies with RCW 19.100.020(1).
(5) “Nonsolicitation agreement” means an agreement between an employer and employee that prohibits solicitation by an employee, upon termination of employment: (a) Of any employee of the employer to leave the employer; or (b) of any customer of the employer to cease or reduce the extent to which it is doing business with the employer.
(6) “Party seeking enforcement” means the named plaintiff or claimant in a proceeding to enforce a noncompetition covenant or the defendant in an action for declaratory relief.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Washington Revised Code Title 49. Labor Regulations § 49.62.010. Definitions - last updated April 06, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-49-labor-regulations/wa-rev-code-49-62-010/
Was this helpful?