Washington Revised Code Title 49. Labor Regulations § 49.60.400. Discrimination, preferential treatment prohibited
Search Revised Code of Washington
Search by Keyword or Citation
(1) The state shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.
(2) This section applies only to action taken after December 3, 1998.
(3) This section does not affect any law or governmental action that does not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin.
(4) This section does not affect any otherwise lawful classification that:
(a) Is based on sex and is necessary for sexual privacy or medical or psychological treatment; or
(b) Is necessary for undercover law enforcement or for film, video, audio, or theatrical casting; or
(c) Provides for separate athletic teams for each sex.
(5) This section does not invalidate any court order or consent decree that is in force as of December 3, 1998.
(6) This section does not prohibit action that must be taken to establish or maintain eligibility for any federal program, if ineligibility would result in a loss of federal funds to the state.
(7) Nothing in this section prohibits schools established under chapter 28A.715 RCW from:
(a) Implementing a policy of Indian preference in employment; or
(b) Prioritizing the admission of tribal members where capacity of the school's programs or facilities is not as large as demand.
(8) For the purposes of this section, “state” includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the state itself, any city, county, public college or university, community college, school district, special district, or other political subdivision or governmental instrumentality of or within the state.
(9) The remedies available for violations of this section shall be the same, regardless of the injured party's race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin, as are otherwise available for violations of Washington antidiscrimination law.
(10) This section shall be self-executing. If any part or parts of this section are found to be in conflict with federal law, the United States Constitution, or the Washington state Constitution, the section shall be implemented to the maximum extent that federal law, the United States Constitution, and the Washington state Constitution permit. Any provision held invalid shall be severable from the remaining portions of this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Washington Revised Code Title 49. Labor Regulations § 49.60.400. Discrimination, preferential treatment prohibited - last updated April 06, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-49-labor-regulations/wa-rev-code-49-60-400/
Was this helpful?