Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Whenever the department of transportation determines that any real property owned by the state of Washington and under the jurisdiction of the department is no longer required for highway purposes and that it is in the public interest to do so, the department may, in its discretion, sell the property under RCW 47.12.063 or under subsections (2) through (6) of this section.
(2) Whenever the department determines to sell real property under its jurisdiction at public auction, the department shall first give notice thereof by the most appropriate method as determined by the department. The notice shall contain a description of the property, the time and place of the auction, and the terms of the sale. The sale may be for cash or by real estate contract.
(3) The department shall sell the property at the public auction, in accordance with the terms set forth in the notice, to the highest and best bidder providing the bid is equal to or higher than the appraised fair market value of the property.
(4) If no bids are received at the auction or if all bids are rejected, the department may, in its discretion, enter into negotiations for the sale of the property or may list the property with a licensed real estate broker. No property shall be sold by negotiations or through a broker for less than the property's appraised fair market value. Any offer to purchase real property pursuant to this subsection shall be in writing and may be rejected at any time prior to written acceptance by the department.
(5) All moneys received pursuant to this section, less any real estate broker's commissions paid pursuant to RCW 47.12.320, shall be deposited in the motor vehicle fund.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Washington Revised Code Title 47. Public Highways and Transportation § 47.12.283. Sale of real property authorized--Procedure--Disposition of proceeds - last updated April 06, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-47-public-highways-and-transportation/wa-rev-code-47-12-283/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?