Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
It shall be the responsibility of the Department, to the extent funds are appropriated by the General Assembly or otherwise made available:
1. To support, strengthen, evaluate, and monitor community-based domestic violence programs funded by the Department and to act as the administrator for state grant funds and the disbursal of federal funds pursuant to §§ 63.2-1614 and 63.2-1615;
2. To collaborate with the Statewide Domestic Violence Coalition in developing and implementing community-based programs to respond to and prevent domestic violence;
3. To prepare, disseminate, and present educational programs and materials on domestic violence to the local departments, community provider agencies, and the general public;
4. To support, strengthen, and act as a resource to local departments on issues of domestic violence, particularly as they relate to both adult and child protective services and self-sufficiency;
5. To establish minimum standards of training and provide educational programs to train workers in the fields of child and adult protective services in local departments and community-based domestic violence programs funded by the Department to identify domestic violence and provide effective referrals for appropriate services;
6. To provide training and educational opportunities on effective collaboration for all staff of local departments and community-based domestic violence programs;
7. To work with the Statewide Domestic Violence Coalition to (a) develop policies and procedures that guide the work of persons providing services to victims of domestic violence and their children; (b) implement methods to preserve the confidentiality of all domestic violence services records pursuant to §§ 63.2-104 and 63.2-104.1 in order to protect the rights and safety of victims of domestic violence; (c) develop policies and implement methods to assure the confidentiality of records pertaining to the address or location of any shelter or facility assisted under the Family Violence Prevention and Services Act, 42 U.S.C. § 10401 et seq.; (d) collect, prepare, and disseminate statistical data on the occurrence of domestic violence and the services provided throughout the Commonwealth; (e) operate the Virginia Family Violence and Sexual Assault 24-hour toll-free hotline and the Statewide Domestic Violence Database (Vadata); and (f) provide a clearinghouse of information and technical assistance on intervention and prevention of domestic violence;
8. To encourage the use of existing information and referral agencies to provide specialized information on domestic violence;
9. To develop and maintain a statewide list of available community and state resources for the victims of domestic violence;
10. To provide technical assistance on establishing shelters, self-help groups and other necessary service delivery programs;
11. To provide leadership and coordination within the Department on domestic violence as it relates to child and adult abuse and neglect, benefits programs, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, foster care prevention, child support enforcement, child care, and the promotion of healthy family relationships; and
12. To promote collaboration and cooperation with other state agencies, including the Department of Criminal Justice Services, the Department of Health, the Department of Housing and Community Development, the Office of the Attorney General, and the Virginia Employment Commission, for technical assistance, data collection and service delivery to facilitate the appropriate response to victims of domestic violence.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Virginia Code Title 63.2. Welfare (Social Services) § 63.2-1612. Responsibilities of Department; domestic violence prevention and services - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/va/title-63-2-welfare-social-services/va-code-sect-63-2-1612/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?