Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In this section, “enable use” means to grant a contractual right or permission with respect to information or informational rights and to complete the acts, if any, required under the agreement to make the information available to the licensee.
(b) A licensor shall enable use by the licensee pursuant to the contract. The following rules apply to enabling use:
(1) If nothing other than the grant of a contractual right or permission is required to enable use, the licensor enables use when the contract becomes enforceable.
(2) If the agreement requires delivery of a copy, enabling use occurs when the copy is tendered to the licensee.
(3) If the agreement requires delivery of a copy and steps authorizing the licensee's use, enabling use occurs when the last of those acts occurs.
(4) In an access contract, enabling use requires tendering all access material necessary to enable the agreed access.
(5) If the agreement requires a transfer of ownership of informational rights and a filing or recording is allowed by law to establish priority of the transferred ownership, on request by the licensee, the licensor shall execute and tender a record appropriate for that purpose.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Virginia Code Title 59.1. Trade and Commerce § 59.1-506.2. Licensor's obligations to enable use - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/va/title-59-1-trade-and-commerce/va-code-sect-59-1-506-2/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?