Skip to main content

Virginia Code Title 15.2. Counties, Cities and Towns § 15.2-6708. Powers of Authority

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

The Authority shall have the following powers together with all powers incidental thereto or necessary for the performance of those hereinafter stated:

1. To sue and be sued and to prosecute and defend, at law or in equity, in any court having jurisdiction of the subject matter and of the parties;

2. To adopt and use a corporate seal and to alter the same at pleasure;

3. To contract and be contracted with;

4. To employ and pay compensation to such employees and agents, including attorneys, as the board deems necessary in carrying on the business of the Authority;

5. To establish bylaws and make all rules and regulations, not inconsistent with the provisions of this chapter, deemed expedient for the management of the Authority's affairs;

6. To borrow money and to accept contributions, grants, and other financial assistance from the United States government and agencies or instrumentalities thereof;  the Commonwealth, or any political subdivision, agency, or public instrumentality of the Commonwealth;  or any private person, foundation, or financial institution;

7. To issue bonds in accordance with applicable law;

8. To receive and expend moneys on behalf of tourist train development;  and

9. To cooperate with any private or governmental entities in the states of West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, or North Carolina in the development of a tourist train and theme park.

Cite this article: - Virginia Code Title 15.2. Counties, Cities and Towns § 15.2-6708. Powers of Authority - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard