Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1)(a) A person under 16 years of age may not operate a motorboat on the waters of this state unless the person is under the on-board and direct supervision of a person who is at least 18 years of age.
(b) A person under 16 years of age may operate a sailboat, if the person is under the direct supervision of a person who is at least 18 years of age.
(2) A person who is at least 12 years of age or older but under 16 years of age may operate a personal watercraft provided he:
(a) is under the direct supervision of a person who is at least 18 years of age;
(b) completes a boating safety course approved by the division; and
(c) has in his possession a boating safety certificate issued by the boating safety course provider.
(3) A person who is at least 16 years of age but under 18 years of age may operate a personal watercraft, if the person:
(a) completes a boating safety course approved by the division; and
(b) has in his possession a boating safety certificate issued by the boating safety course provider.
(4) A person required to attend a boating safety course under Subsection (3)(a) need not be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian while completing a boating safety course.
(5) A person may not give permission to another person to operate a vessel in violation of this section.
(6) As used in this section, “direct supervision” means oversight at a distance within which visual contact is maintained.
(7)(a) The division may collect fees set by the division in accordance with Section 63J-1-504 from each person who takes the division's boating safety course to help defray the cost of the boating safety course.
(b) Money collected from the fees collected under Subsection (7)(a) shall be deposited in the Boating Account.
(8) A violation of this section is an infraction.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Utah Code Title 73. Water and Irrigation § 73-18-15.2. Minimum age of operators--Boating safety course for youth to operate personal watercraft - last updated May 05, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ut/title-73-water-and-irrigation/ut-code-sect-73-18-15-2/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.