Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
As used in this part:
(1) “Alignment” or “realignment” means the initial or subsequent act, respectively, of assigning a public school a classification or region.
(2) “Appeals panel” means the appeals panel created in Section 53G-7-1106.
(3)(a) “Association” means an organization that governs or regulates a student's participation in an athletic interscholastic activity.
(b) “Association” does not include an institution of higher education described in Section 53B-1-102.
(4) “Classification” means the designation of a school based on the size of the school's student enrollment population for purposes of interscholastic activities.
(5) “Eligibility” means eligibility to participate in an interscholastic activity regulated or governed by an association.
(6) “Governing body” means a body within an association that:
(a) is responsible for:
(i) adopting standards or policies that govern interscholastic activities or the administration of the association;
(ii) adopting or amending the association's governing document or bylaws;
(iii) enforcing the standards and policies of the association; and
(iv) adopting the association's budget; and
(b) has oversight of other boards, committees, councils, or bodies within the association.
(7) “Interscholastic activity” means an activity within the state in which:
(a) a student that participates represents the student's school in the activity; and
(b) the participating student is enrolled in grade 9, 10, 11, or 12.
(8) “Public hearing” means a hearing at which members of the public are provided a reasonable opportunity to comment on the subject of the hearing.
(9) “Region” means a grouping of schools of the same classification for purposes of interscholastic activities.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Utah Code Title 53G. Public Education System--Local Administration § 53G-7-1101. Definitions - last updated May 05, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ut/title-53g-public-education-system-local-administration/ut-code-sect-53g-7-1101/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.