Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) As used in this section:
(a) “Authorized LEA user” means a teacher or other person who is:
(i) employed by an LEA that provides instruction to a student; and
(ii) authorized to access data in a Student Achievement Backpack through the Utah Student Record Store.
(b) “Statewide assessment” means the same as that term is defined in Section 53E-4-301.
(c) “Student Achievement Backpack” means, for a student from kindergarten through grade 12, a complete learner profile that:
(i) is in electronic format;
(ii) follows the student from grade to grade and school to school; and
(iii) is accessible by the student's parent or an authorized LEA user.
(d) “Utah Student Record Store” means a repository of student data collected from LEAs as part of the state's longitudinal data system that is:
(i) managed by the state board;
(ii) cloud-based; and
(iii) accessible via a web browser to authorized LEA users.
(2)(a) The state board shall use the state board's robust, comprehensive data collection system, which collects longitudinal student transcript data from LEAs and the unique student identifiers as described in Section 53E-4-308, to allow the following to access a student's Student Achievement Backpack:
(i) the student's parent; and
(ii) each LEA that provides instruction to the student.
(b) The state board shall ensure that a Student Achievement Backpack:
(i) provides a uniform, transparent reporting mechanism for individual student progress;
(ii) provides a complete learner history for postsecondary planning;
(iii) provides a teacher with visibility into a student's complete learner profile to better inform instruction and personalize education;
(iv) assists a teacher or administrator in diagnosing a student's learning needs through the use of data already collected by the state board;
(v) facilitates a student's parent taking an active role in the student's education by simplifying access to the student's complete learner profile; and
(vi) serves as additional disaster mitigation for LEAs by using a cloud-based data storage and collection system.
(3) Using existing information collected and stored in the state board's data warehouse, the state board shall create the Utah Student Record Store where an authorized LEA user may:
(a) access data in a Student Achievement Backpack relevant to the user's LEA or school; or
(b) request student records to be transferred from one LEA to another.
(4) The state board shall implement security measures to ensure that:
(a) student data stored or transmitted to or from the Utah Student Record Store is secure and confidential pursuant to the requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. Sec. 1232g; and
(b) an authorized LEA user may only access student data that is relevant to the user's LEA or school.
(5) A student's parent may request the student's Student Achievement Backpack from the LEA or the school in which the student is enrolled.
(6) An authorized LEA user may access student data in a Student Achievement Backpack, which shall include the following data, or request that the data be transferred from one LEA to another:
(a) student demographics;
(b) course grades;
(c) course history; and
(d) results of a statewide assessment.
(7) An authorized LEA user may access student data in a Student Achievement Backpack, which shall include the data listed in Subsections (6)(a) through (d) and the following data, or request that the data be transferred from one LEA to another:
(a) section attendance;
(b) the name of a student's teacher for classes or courses the student takes;
(c) teacher qualifications for a student's teacher, including years of experience, degree, license, and endorsement;
(d) results of statewide assessments;
(e) a student's writing sample that is written for a writing assessment administered pursuant to Section 53E-4-303;
(f) student growth scores on a statewide assessment, as applicable;
(g) a school's grade assigned pursuant to Chapter 5, Part 2, School Accountability System;
(h) results of benchmark assessments of reading administered pursuant to Section 53E-4-307; and
(i) a student's reading level at the end of grade 3.
(8) No later than June 30, 2017, the state board shall ensure that data collected in the Utah Student Record Store for a Student Achievement Backpack is integrated into each LEA's student information system and is made available to a student's parent and an authorized LEA user in an easily accessible viewing format.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Utah Code Title 53E. Public Education System--State Administration § 53E-3-511. Student Achievement Backpack--Utah Student Record Store - last updated May 05, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ut/title-53e-public-education-system-state-administration/ut-code-sect-53e-3-511/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.