Skip to main content

Utah Code Title 53. Public Safety Code § 53-3-904. Instructor training and approval

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(1) The program coordinator shall approve instructors for the motorcycle rider training courses.

(2) A person may not be approved as an instructor unless the person holds a current instructor certification issued by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation or another nationally recognized motorcycle safety instructor certifying body.

(3)(a) The program shall include instructor training courses as necessary.

(b) Prior to completion of an instructor training course, the participant shall demonstrate:

(i) knowledge of the course material;

(ii) knowledge of proper motorcycle operation;

(iii) proficiency in riding motorcycles;  and

(iv) the necessary aptitude for instructing students.

(4) An applicant for an instructor training course shall:

(a) have a high school diploma or its equivalent;

(b) be at least 18 years of age;

(c) have a valid endorsement to his driver's license for motorcycles;  and

(d) have at least two years of recent motorcycle riding experience.

(5) The division shall refuse to certify or revoke certification of an instructor if the applicant:

(a) has had his driver's license suspended or revoked during the preceding two years or within the preceding five years if the suspension or revocation was for an alcohol or drug-related offense;

(b) fails to successfully complete an instructor course or required course updates;  or

(c) no longer meets the requirements of this section.

Cite this article: - Utah Code Title 53. Public Safety Code § 53-3-904. Instructor training and approval - last updated May 05, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard