Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Physical, mental, or emotional diseases related to mental stress arising out of and in the course of employment shall be compensable under this chapter only when there is a sufficient legal and medical causal connection between the employee's disease and employment.
(2)(a) Legal causation requires proof of extraordinary mental stress arising predominantly and directly from employment.
(b) The extraordinary nature of the alleged mental stress is judged according to an objective standard in comparison with contemporary national employment and nonemployment life.
(3) Medical causation requires proof that the physical, mental, or emotional disease was medically caused by the mental stress that is the legal cause of the physical, mental, or emotional disease.
(4) Good faith employer personnel actions including disciplinary actions, work evaluations, job transfers, layoffs, demotions, promotions, terminations, or retirements, may not form the basis of compensable mental stress claims under this chapter.
(5) Alleged discrimination, harassment, or unfair labor practices otherwise actionable at law may not form the basis of compensable mental stress claims under this chapter.
(6) An employee who alleges a compensable occupational disease involving mental stress bears the burden of proof to establish legal and medical causation by a preponderance of the evidence.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Utah Code Title 34A. Utah Labor Code § 34A-3-106. Mental stress claims - last updated May 05, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ut/title-34a-utah-labor-code/ut-code-sect-34a-3-106/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.